In this article, we are going to talk about examination preparation and how to overcome exam fear. Here you will get words of advice, which help you to make your study plan.
How to overcome exam fear
What is Exam Fear?
Exam fear is the fear of the exam which happens when we are not fully prepared for the exam, it is a strange situation in which an unwanted fear settles in the mind.
Exam phobia is a psychological ailment that affects students prior to or during exams. Although many people feel some level of tension during tests, this stress actually hinders both learning and exam performance. Students often question how to overcome exam fear for this reason. This condition develops as a result of the pupils’ intense pressure to do well. They grow worried as a result of not being able to deliver their best.
Students frequently experience anxiety and, in some circumstances, melancholy owing to the overwhelming stress of exams. Sometimes students are unable to perform effectively simply due to exam anxiety, which creates barriers to their academic success. Students should continue to question it and look for methods to lessen exam anxiety. Also, they must admit they are afraid since only then can they overcome it when the time is perfect.
According to a survey, the majority of students experience test stress as a result of their parents’ high expectations for them or their pressure to perform better. Parents’ occasional pressure can sometimes spur pupils to put forth extra effort and provide their best work. Despite the fact that excessive pressure on kids to do well reduces their performance. So, learning how to overcome exam fear is crucial for improving performance.
And the most important thing that you should keep in your mind that is Marks don’t matter to those who have a big desire to get success because only wings are not enough to fly in the sky, there must be a strong will with them. Be a courageous person just try to change your behaviour toward your practice and learning, think differently and do differently if you want to do something different and awesome, Focus on your study, and make sure that your study should be quality, not quantity study Because something is better than nothing.
What is the reason for Exam fear?
Exam phobia is a typical occurrence that can affect anyone, despite the fact that many people are unaware of it. Those who have gone through it can appreciate how challenging it can be. Stress frequently makes anxiety and exam phobia worse. While it might be typical for the vast majority of people, it might be so severe for a select minority that it hinders their performance on the test.
How to overcome exam fear, therefore, becomes very significant. To do it, you must understand what makes people fear exams. For many pupils, it’s not a single thing that generates anxiety for them. In actuality, a number of factors may combine to cause dread. Exam anxiety that causes stress might occasionally be rooted in poor study habits or hurried preparations.
Let’s briefly go over each cause here:
Fear of failing: The worry that one may perform poorly on an exam is one of the main sources of stress. Exam stress is brought on by attempting to link your skills to the scores you anticipate receiving on the test. Hence, you must stop comparing your skills to your marks if you want to learn how to overcome exam fear.
Exam preparation is insufficient: Students who don’t study enough for tests feel more stress and worry than those who do and pay careful attention in class. Those who are looking for strategies to overcome test fear typically find that the major cause of their worry is a lack of exam preparation.
Excessive fears and scepticism of one’s ability are common among students.
Lack of Confidence: The stress associated with exams can surely be brought on by a student’s lack of confidence in their own skills and capacity to succeed. If they don’t achieve a particular percentage, students may believe that they are less intelligent than some other children. Exam anxiety results as a result, making students more worried overall. Therefore, you should start your preparation on time if you want to learn how to overcome exam fear
Failure in the past: Exam anxiety is a common occurrence for students who fared poorly on prior exams. There are typically two primary reasons why students have test anxiety: first, they may have been underprepared for the exam, and second, they may have been so stressed out that they were unable to remember the answers. Increased stress and a negative attitude towards exams may also result from these causes. You need to first examine your prior instances of stress and address the underlying causes if you want to learn how to overcome exam fear.
Uncontrollable pressure: Children face pressure from their professors, parents, friends, and acquaintances to achieve well. The kids experience too much stress as a result of the uncontrollable pressure to perform at their highest level. Sometimes it affects kids so much that when they can’t perform to expectations, some of them resort to suicidal behaviour. Managing performance pressure from others is the best strategy for reducing exam stress.
Self-esteem decline: One of the main factors causing exam anxiety in pupils is a decline in self-esteem. You may have had some negative experiences in the past that have lowered your self-esteem, or you may be confused about your vision. As a result, you don’t adequately attempt the exam, your grades drop, and this again lowers your self-esteem. Hence, invest some time in boosting your confidence before learning how to overcome exam fear.
Mental causes: In addition to physiological causes, exam anxiety has numerous mental ones. There are a number of reasons why a student might not be able to perform well on an exam if they feel they won’t. They might have nervousness either before or during the exam, too. But, they can achieve this with the aid of certain expert exam stress reduction tactics.
Causes that are biological: One of the common causes of exam anxiety is biological. The body releases the hormone adrenaline whenever there is a stressful scenario, such as before or during an exam. This hormone enables the body to successfully manage exam stress. Sometimes it motivates you to leave the situation entirely, and other times it helps you deal with the uncomfortable circumstance. Adrenaline hormones may occasionally work in your favour. Because it equips you to manage any difficult circumstance successfully. Nonetheless, it becomes challenging to do well on an exam when it becomes excessive. It is crucial in that case to learn from the professionals how to overcome exam fear.
How to overcome exam fear: 13 Points to Remember
1. Best time for study: Find out the best time for studying, everyone has a strong and weak period of attention and focus, maybe you can learn more things in the morning or you can learn at night with more focus and attention so you have to choose your best time for it.
2. Always go with a Plan: Before you start preparing for the exam, you should make your exam plan, because planning is needed to do better in any work. Give priority to those subjects in your exam plan, in which you have problems, there will be some subjects in which work will be required, so plan your exam keeping all these things in mind.
3. Prepare notes: Make a habit of making notes whenever you prepare for the exam. Make notes related to important points, events, dates and people of any subject or chapter you are preparing for.
4. Start Early Revision: The most important thing is that you start your exam preparation on time, one of the important reasons for having exam fear is that students do not start their studies on time, due to which exam fear comes to their mind. Always start the exam preparation on time, so that you will get enough time for every subject. This is one of the most important points to combat How to overcome exam fear.
5. Study difficult subjects first: Make a plan and find which subject is hard for you then allow your time according to their need don’t waste your precious time on those subject which is light for you just give them only the required time.
6. Sleep Properly: you need to have proper time for rest after studying your subjects, take the time to go out make fun with your friends and family, take a walk and enjoy time don’t take too much burden.
7. Do not compare yourself with others: Always keep in mind that never compare yourself with anyone else. Because whenever we compare ourselves with someone else, then there is a feeling of despair in our mind. Keep in mind that every child’s ability is different, some are better at something and some are better at something else. so never compare yourself with anyone else.
8. Mix Subjects: While preparing for the exam, keep in mind that do not study only one subject, but also pay attention to other subjects, because many times we pay more attention only to our favourite subject, due to which other subjects are missed, and then they causing trouble later on and become the reason for exam fear. This situation makes you fear exams and forces you to figure out how to get overcome exam fear. In order to focus equally on each subject, you need to make a study plan.
9. Don’t learn continuously for a long period use distributed Learning and practice, take a break between learning because your mind needs to process the information so just make shorter time blocks with short breaks between. It is the most important and effective way how to overcome exam fear.
10. Use Headings and Subheadings: Always use headings and subheadings while writing your answer in the exam, this will improve your answer and teachers will also understand your answer better.
11. Do Regular Meditation: There are many ways to conquer exam fear, and one of them is to do meditation, you should take out some time every day to meditate, it will give you kind of benefits. By doing meditation, the mind feels better in studies, it is easier to focus, there is no need to read the same thing again and again and this will increase your confidence. So try this and you will see the result automatically.
12. Be Positive: Always keep your thinking positive and keep yourself away from negative thinking which will keep you confident. Do not let fear dominate you, because it will not make you feel like doing any work and this can become the reason for your exam phobia. This is one of the ultimate important tips to check on how to overcome exam fear.
13. Hard work with smart work: There is a need for hard work to be successful, but one thing is more important and that is smart work, whenever you study, keep in mind that along with hard work, smart work should also be done because quality is important not quantity. You should pay more attention to those chapters which are important and not spend full time on one chapter.
And most important thing make your study place Entertaining and comfortable for study it will help you to focus on your study. If you follow all these steps properly then you can easily check on how to overcome exam fear
How can parents support their children in overcoming exam anxiety?
Children’s development is significantly influenced by their parents. Parents typically have little trouble assisting kids in managing their stress levels before and during tests. Most students frequently ask how to overcome exam fear, but many are unaware of how much their parents can genuinely aid them.
Nonetheless, because of their parents, many students experience exam anxiety. Parents frequently have high expectations for their kids to do well on tests and get decent grades. Children who experience exam stress as a result of these expectations are more likely to perform poorly on the test, which is damaging.
Parents can support students in overcoming exam anxiety by doing the following:
Never put pressure on kids.
Parents occasionally encourage their kids to do well in school. Yet, the kids could experience stress from that occasionally. Parents might not even be aware that they have given their kids unreasonable expectations, which is making them fear exams. Parents and students can benefit from career counselling since the counsellors set boundaries for both groups.
Children shouldn’t be pressured by their parents to achieve better than any other youngster or to excel. Children may get afraid of exams due to comparison and pressure. Every parent is capable of understanding the strengths and shortcomings of children. Parents must assist students in learning how to overcome exam fear rather than overloading them with demands. They will be able to perform much better in the tests thanks to this, which will also help them get over their exam dread.
Have a discussion with the kid.
Parents today are quite occupied with their daily lives. Due to the fact that both parents work, they seldom ever spend any time with the child. Parents can never fully understand what their children are thinking without having a meaningful conversation. In that case, forget about assisting kids in overcoming exam anxiety. In order to have a healthy dialogue with their child, parents must do so frequently, if not every day.
An improved understanding of the child by the parents allows the child to heal and cope with stress in a more effective manner. Some parents lack the time to speak with their children appropriately. Such ignorance may have a detrimental effect on youngsters and make them fear exams. In order to help your child understand how to overcome exam fear, have a brief conversation with them about it.
Verify the child’s daily schedule.
If a youngster follows a schedule when studying for an exam, there is a chance that they will be able to handle any stress that may arise. It is the parent’s job to make sure their kids are adhering to the schedule. For individuals looking for advice on how to overcome exam fear, this is a crucial step.
Parents these days are extremely time-constrained due to their busy professional lives. However, you must be mindful of the child’s schedule and make sure they are getting the right amount of rest, nutrition, and study time according to their schedule. Parents can assist kids in overcoming exam anxiety in this way. If parents take care of these factors, the child’s level of focus will automatically rise and their stress level will fall.
Offer the child unfailing support
No matter what grade they are in or whether they have trouble making career selections, support can help your child deal with stress. Every child requires assistance, and it boosts the children’s self-confidence when parents provide it without any demands.
Teenagers should talk to their parents in order to make the best choice. By showing your parents even a small measure of gratitude, you can dramatically alleviate your stress. Even a small compliment from parents could make kids feel safer and help them to get over their exam anxieties. Kids could attempt to acquire techniques for overcoming exam anxiety.
Just keep one thing in your mind don’t let your confidence down. Always have faith in yourself, and try to find the solution to a problem instead of running away. Then you can easily beat your exam fear.
Most important parents should keep in mind that they should always motivate their child, and never compare their child with any other child, it may or may not bring any benefit to your child but it will harm them.
These are some tips from my side for how to overcome exam fear you have to just follow these steps it will help you to get your work done according to your wish.
FAQ on How to Overcome Exam Fear
Question 1. What causes fear of exams?
Answer. The causes of exam fear many of them is the fear of failing the exam. Not having faith in oneself, and feeling of despair in the mind. Whenever we are not able to prepare well for any subject, it also increases exam fear.
Question 2. How can I get confidence in exams?
Answer. To maintain confidence in yourself, it is necessary that always keep positive thinking, never compare yourself with anyone else and keep trying continuously.
Question 3. What is fear of exams called?
Answer. The fear of exams is called Exam Phobia.
Question 4. What is exam fear?
Answer. Exam fear is the fear of the exam which happens when we are not fully prepared for the exam, it is a strange situation in which an unwanted fear settles in the mind.
Question 5. Why am I so nervous about exams? Answer: It is not a big deal to be nervous about the exam, it happens to everyone. Its reason is to have negative feelings in the mind. Because of this, the mind starts thinking of failure, which later turns into nervousness.
Question 6. Does test anxiety go away? Answer: Test anxiety can be easily controlled, it just needs to be studied continuously, as you complete the chapters, your confidence in yourself will start increasing and this confidence will control your anxiety.