In this post, we are going to discuss How to join NDA after 12th? Here you will find all the necessary details regarding this, like its eligibility, NDA Syllabus, Best NDA coaching in India and so on.
NDA is one of the most prestigious Armed Forces academies. It is a joint service academy of the Indian Armed Forces. In NDA cadets of the three services, the Army, the Navy and the Airforce are trained together and after that, they go to their respective service academies for pre-commission training. It is the first tri-service Academy in the world. It is situated at Khadakwasla near Pune, Maharashtra.
How to join NDA after 12th ? Overview
Those students who have the desire to join NDA have to go through a written exam conducted by UPSC, followed by extensive interviews which are conducted by SSB. In the Interviews normally questions cover general aptitude, psychological testing, team skills as well as social skills along with medical tests. Classes for NDA start twice a year it’s a semester-based class first class starts in January and the second class starts in July.
In the NDA’s written exam approx.4,50,000 applicants appear but only about 6,500 out of these are invited for the interview. In NDA there are age restrictions minimum you have to complete at least sixteen and a half and the maximum you can be nineteen and a half. Applicant should be unmarried. Those candidates who completed their program they sent to their respective training Academy. For Army cadets, they sent to IMA [Indian Military Academy] at Dehradun, for Airforce cadets they sent to AFA[Air Force Academy] at Dundigal, Hyderabad, and for the naval cadets they sent to INA[Indian Naval Academy].
Why you should join the NDA after 12th
There are many reasons why you should join the National Defence Academy (NDA). Here are some of the most important:
- Serve your country: The NDA is the first tri-service academy in the world, meaning that cadets are trained to become officers in all three branches of the Indian Armed Forces: the Army, Navy, and Air Force. This is a unique opportunity to serve your country and make a difference in the world.
- Receive world-class training: The NDA provides world-class training in academics, physical fitness, and leadership. Cadets are taught a wide range of subjects, including mathematics, science, English, history, and political science. They also receive rigorous physical training, including running, swimming, and obstacle courses. In addition, cadets are taught how to lead and motivate others.
- Enjoy a rewarding career: A career in the Indian Armed Forces is a rewarding and challenging one. Officers play a vital role in protecting the nation’s borders and upholding the law. They also have the opportunity to travel the world and experience different cultures.
- Develop strong personal qualities: The NDA experience helps to develop strong personal qualities, such as discipline, teamwork, and respect for others. These qualities are valuable in any field, and they will serve you well throughout your life.
- Become part of a prestigious institution: The NDA is one of the most prestigious institutions in India. Cadets are proud to wear the academy’s uniform and to be associated with the NDA’s rich history and tradition.
If you are looking for a challenging and rewarding career, the NDA is a great option for you. With its world-class training and opportunities for leadership and growth, the NDA can help you reach your full potential.
Here are some additional benefits of joining the NDA:
- Free education and accommodation: Cadets receive free education and accommodation at the NDA. This can save you a significant amount of money, and it allows you to focus on your studies and training.
- Excellent pay and allowances: Officers in the Indian Armed Forces receive excellent pay and allowances. This includes a basic salary, as well as various allowances for housing, food, and travel.
- Job security: The Indian Armed Forces offer job security that is unmatched in the private sector. Once you are commissioned as an officer, you can be confident that you will have a job for life.
- Opportunities for travel and adventure: Officers in the Indian Armed Forces have the opportunity to travel the world and experience different cultures. They may also be deployed on peacekeeping missions or other overseas operations.
How to join NDA after 12th: Eligibility
1. The candidate must be an unmarried citizen of India or Nepal who must have a certificate of eligibility issued by the Government of India.
Note: Candidates who come from Gorkha of Nepal are not required to show the Certificate of Eligibility.
2. The candidate should be a subject of Bhutan.
3. Tibetan refugees came to India to settle permanently before 1st January 1962.
4. Candidate can also be a migrant person of Indian origin who is from Pakistan, Uganda, Vietnam, Sri Lanka, Zaire, Zambia, Burma Burma, East African Countries of Kenya, Malawi, the United Republic of Tanzania, and Ethiopia. Have come to live in India forever.
Candidates who want to apply for NDA should be born between July 2, 2002, to July 1, 2006, for NDA (1) and between January 2, 2003, to January 1, 2007, for NDA (2).
As above mention candidates’ ages should be between 16.5 and 19.5. But it can vary it purely depends on the UPSC notification, so you have to check out the UPSC notification regarding this.
How to join NDA after 12th: Qualification
Below you will find the educational requirements for admission to the different wings.
For Army Wing of NDA: Candidate must have passed 12th standard from any recognized educational state board or its equivalent.
For Air Force and Navy Wings: Candidate should have passed 12th standard of the 10+2 pattern of school with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics from any recognised educational state board or equivalent.
Note: Applicants who are currently in 12th standard can also apply for this exam.
Can a girl Join NDA after 12th?
Now the question is can a Girl Join an NDA after 12th or How to join NDA after 12th for girls?
In 2021, the Supreme Court of India allowed girls as well for NDA. Earlier, only unmarried male candidates were allowed to appear in this exam. Now both female and male candidates can apply for NDA. The eligibility criteria for female candidates will remain the same as for male candidates.
Candidate, male or female, who wants to take the NDA exam must be unmarried.
Candidates must keep in mind that they will not be allowed to marry until they complete their training. If any candidate marries at any stage of the exam, even if he/she has passed, he/she will not be selected, he/she will be freed from the training and at the same time he/she will have to pay the expenses incurred by the government on her/him.
Gender:- Both Males and Females can apply.
Physical Fitness Standards
Candidates are required to be physically fit as per Physical Standards to be eligible for admission to the National Defense Academy and Naval Academy Examination.
Physical fitness criteria:
Candidates should rectify their minor ailments given below. This will make it easier for them to clear the medical examination at the Military Hospital.
- Undersized chest
- Wax (Ears)
- Deviated Nasal septum
Note: Permanent tattoos are allowed only on the inner side of the forearm, on the inner side of the wrist from the elbow, or on the back of the palm. Permanent tattoos are not allowed on any part of the body except those mentioned above. Candidates who belong to any tribe and have tattoos on any other part of the body as per their traditions may be eligible on a case-to-case basis.
Application to be received by Application for NDA is received as per UPSC notification.
Weights and Height Requirements for the Indian Army and Indian Air Force
Candidates should adhere to the guidelines issued by the Requirement bodies. This is a very important part of how to join NDA after 12th. Candidates can follow the guidelines with the help of the table and points given below.
1. Body Mass Index (BMI) should be less than 25.
2. Waist-to-hip ratio should be less than 0.9 for men and less than 0.8 for women.
3. Men’s waist circumference should be less than 90 cm and women’s waist circumference should be less than 80 cm.
4. All metabolic and biochemical parameters should be normal.
|Height (in cm)
|Age in years
|Age in years
|Age in years
Here are the details of the weight and height requirements for the Indian Navy. This is also a very important part of how to join NDA after 12th.
|Age in Years
|Age in Years
|Age in Years
Below are the details of the vision requirements for both the Indian Navy and Air Force. This is also an important aspect of how to join NDA after 12th.
|Corrected with glass
|Uncorrected without glass
|Limits of Hypermetropia
|Limits of colour perception
|Limits of Myopia
Indian Air Force: Vision Requirement
|Minimum distant vision
|Corrected with glass
|colour vision Hypermetropia
|CP-I +2.0 D
|Sph Manifest Myopia
|0.5 in any Meridian permitted
|+0.75 D Cyl (within + 2.0 D
|Maddox Rod Test at 6
|Exo-6 prism D
Eso-6 prism D
Hyper-1 prism D
Hypo-1 prism D
|Maddox Rod Test at 33
|Exo-16 prism D
Eso-6 prism D
Hyper-1 prism D
Hypo-1 prism D
How to join NDA after 12th? Duration of training
It takes 3 years at NDA for all cadets and 1 year at their respective training academies Army cadets take one year at IMA, Air Forces cadets, take one year at AFA and similarly, it takes one year for Navy cadets at INA.
How to join NDA after 12th: NDA’s Academics
In NDA candidates can choose their stream one out of two it can be Arts Steam or it can be Science Stream. NDA offers their candidates only full-time undergraduate programs. Candidates can get a Baccalaureate degree after completing their 3 years at NDA it can be only a Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of science. In the Arts stream, they learn about History, Economics, Political Science, Geography and Languages. On the other hand candidates in the Science Stream have to learn about Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Computer Science.
How to join NDA after 12th? Admission Process
The application form for NDA is released on the official website of UPSC. The form of NDA is divided into two parts. The first part is for registration while the second is for detailed form filling, exam centres selection and application fee payment.
Below are the steps on how to join NDA after 12th to fill out the application form.
- Register Yourself by filling required details
- Choose Preferred branches
- Verify the details
- Generate Registration ID
- Select Exam centre
- Pay Application fee
- Upload Photograph and Signature
How to join NDA after 12th: NDA Syllabus
Here are the details of the NDA Syllabus:
Integral Calculus and Differential equations
Matrices and Determinants
Analytical Geometry of two and three dimensions
For the General Ability Syllabus
The General Ability Section has been divided into two parts which are given below:
English: In English, it will cover topics like Grammar and usage, vocabulary, comprehension and cohesion in extended text to check the candidate’s expertise in English.
General Knowledge: The General Knowledge section will cover subjects that include Geography, Social Studies, General Science, Physics, Chemistry and Current Events.
How to join NDA after 12th: Best NDA coaching in India
Below you will find the list of the Best NDA Coaching in India.
Success Forum, Mumbai
We Shine Academy, Chennai
Success Mantra, Delhi
Vidya Career Academy, Ahmadabad
Fluke Academy, Delhi
Chate Coaching Classes, Mumbai
Navigator Solutions, Ahmadabad
Success Dreams Education, Gurugram
Success Dreams Education, Delhi
RD Campus, Delhi
This is all the information about How to join NDA after 12th, the Best NDA coaching in India and the NDA Syllabus. I hope it will help you, but remember one thing, to get anything you have to be ready to sacrifice your comfort zone. Make yourself as strong as you ever before. If you have any questions feel free to write to us.
FAQ on How to join NDA after 12th:
Question 1. What is the NDA?
Answer. The National Defence Academy (NDA) is the first tri-service training institution in India, imparting world-class training to cadets who are aspiring to join the Indian Armed Forces. The academy trains cadets for the three services of the Indian Armed Forces – the Army, Navy, and Air Force.
Question 2. What are the eligibility criteria for joining the NDA?
Answer. To join the NDA, the candidate must possess the following eligibility criteria:
- Age: The candidate’s age must be between 16.5 and 19.5 years as of the date of the application.
- Qualification: The candidate must have passed the 12th class examination with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics (PCM) from a recognized board for the Army. For the Navy and Air Force, the candidate must have passed the 12th class examination with Physics and Mathematics (PM) from a recognized board.
- Physical Fitness: The candidate must meet the required physical standards.
- Medical Fitness: The candidate must be medically fit.
Question 3. What is the selection process for joining the NDA?
Answer. The selection process for joining the NDA is a rigorous one and consists of the following stages:
Written Exam: The written exam consists of two papers:
- Mathematics: 300 marks
- General Ability Test: 400 marks
Physical Fitness Test (PFT): Candidates who qualify the written exam are called for the PFT. The PFT consists of the following tests:
- 100m sprint
- 400m run
- 800m run
- Long jump
- Shot put
- High jump
- Medical Examination: Candidates who qualify for the PFT are called for the medical examination. The medical examination is conducted to check the candidate’s overall health and fitness.
- SSB Interview: Candidates who qualify for the medical examination are called for the SSB interview. The SSB interview is a five-day process that assesses the candidate’s leadership potential, intelligence, and personality.
Question 4. What is the training period at the NDA?
Answer. The training period at the NDA is three years. The first two years are spent in academic training, while the third year is spent in professional training.
Question 5. What are the career prospects after completing NDA training?
Answer. After completing NDA training, cadets are commissioned into the Indian Armed Forces as officers. They can then look forward to a rewarding career in the military.
Question 6. What are the benefits of joining the NDA?
Answer. There are many benefits to joining the NDA, including:
- A chance to serve the country
- World-class training
- Excellent career prospects
- A chance to travel the world
- A chance to make a difference in the world
Question 7. Can a girl Join NDA after 12th?
Answer: Yes, Now a girl can also join the National Defense Academy.
Question 8. Can we join NDA directly after the 12th?
Answer: Yes, you can join NDA directly after the 12th.
Question 9. What is the NDA qualification?
Answer. For the Army wing: 10+2 passed. For Air Force and Navy wing: 10+2 passed with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
Question 10. Is NDA only for the Army?
Answer: National Defense Academy is a joint service academy of the Indian Armed Forces. In NDA cadets of the three services, the Army, the Navy and the Airforce are trained together.
Resource: National Defense Academy